Our Story

The Property Genie was set up by Claire Ryder (MARLA) in 2016, Claire has worked in the Residential Lettings industry as a Lettings Manager for over ten years for a well established estate agent in Thirsk & Ripon. I have managed a portfolio of over 300 managed properties, conducted over 1500 let for landlords who wish to manage themselves and managed 4 block management sites over two branches. 

I set up the company as I was aware there is a gap in the market for a good independent inventory clerk within the Thirsk and surrounding area. My aim is to provide independent lettings services for landlords, letting agents & tenants.

Within the lettings industry training is essential, as well as keeping up to date with new legislation. I have trained to the recognised industry qualifications propertymark ARLA (Association of Residential Lettings Agents), has recently passed ARLA Inventories (MARLA Inv) and also qualified as a City & Guilds, Legionella Risk Assessor.

I regularly attend Property Mark Regional Meetings and various training seminars over the years for the following subjects;

  • Inventory Management (Property Mark Course)
  • Deregulation Act Master class - New Deposit Rules & New Section 21 Rule
  • Legal Updates Course
  • TDS - Tenancy Deposit Protection Academy (1,2,3 & 4)
  • End Of Tenancy Management
  • Tenancy Deposit Master class
  • Legal Updates 2012, Repair and Obligations
  • Understanding Tenancy Agreements, Understanding Possession Proceedings
  • Handling Inventories Tenancy Deposit Protection & Damage Disputes
  • Advance Property Management
  • Legal Lettings & Repossession Procedures
  • Developing Your Business
  • Day To Day Law For Lettings
  • Inventory Guidance
  • Block Management Course

I have specialised in deposit refunds and have over 95% success rate in resolving deposit disputes with landlords and tenants. When the remaining 5% have gone to adjudication with the Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS) the evidence provided has ensured successful results for the landlord.

I am based in Thirsk, North Yorkshire and cover the surrounding towns and villages within the North Yorkshire area.

I am fully insured for professional indemnity and public liability, CRB checked & I am a member of The Property Ombudsman.

 


Having met Claire at a recent property related seminar in Wolverhampton and discovered The Property Genie carried out inventory reports and check out inspections, I decided to give her a go on a 4 bed property in Ripon. The inventory she compiled was excellent.. clear, detailed, professionally produced. Just excellent. I have no hesitation in recommending Claire to you whether you are a landlord with one property or an agent with a portfolio of properties. As an agent myself, I realise how important these documents are, especially if a dispute arises with a tenant. I will definitely be using Claire’s services again.
— Scott Littlefair Lister Haigh

Claire is fantastic to work with and very personable. She is full of knowledge and extremely thorough. Her reports are very well laid out and easy to understand. I would highly recommend her to any agents looking to make their hectic lives much easier – she is a breath of fresh air!
— Francesca McCarthy Manager of Letters of Distinction York